Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 8 and Happy Birthday, Daddy!

8. A recipe.

This is what I made Tyler for his birthday, because it's one of the few meals I have found he REALLY likes that I've made since we've been married.

WW General Tso's Chicken (Tyler calls it Kung Pao...)

3/4 C canned chicken brother
1 1/2 T cornstarch
2 T sugar
2 T soy sauce
1T white wine vinegar (red wine vinegar works)
1/2 t ground ginger

side note: I typically double the sauce for 1 lb of chicken

2 t peanut oil
2 medium scallions, chopped (I leave these out for picky Tyler)
2 medium garlic cloves (I use 3)
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 lb uncooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 2 inch pieces (we like the pieces smaller)
2 C cooked white rice, kept hot

In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and ginger; set aside.

Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic, and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.

Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.

Serve chicken and sauce over rice.

Also--when I picked the kids up from Nat's house today, Sophee stood Coop up in the hallway, I FREAKED OUT, and she WALKED to me! It was awesome. Just her little birthday present to daddy. :)

No comments: