Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bacon, Crispy, and Extra Crispy

It sure feels like I should be getting close to the present day...but I think I have quite a bit left...This is making me think about several things. 1. Despite the massive amount, we haven't taken enough pictures since we got married. 2. I have no pictures nor record of the day we found out we were pregnant. and 3. I have a LOT of scrapbooking to do.

Now it is time to talk about our cats. Most of you know that we haven't had very much luck. I am really NOT a cat person, but when we moved into the trailer and realized we were having a mouse issue, I thought it would be a good idea to have an outdoor cat. I finally talked Tyler into it and went to adopt a cat. I found an adorable kitten and brought him home that day to find a message on my answering machine from my sister-in-law, Brooke. A tiny kitten had wandered into her yard and she had saved it for me. So in one day, we went from having no cats, to two kittens, one needing to be bottle fed. We named the one I adopted Bacon, and the tiny black kitty Tyler named Crispy.


Bacon is the cat that survived the longest and was my personal favorite. He was with us for about 6 months before we came home from a babysitting job really late to find that he had been hit by a car on Brannon Road. He loved to sit at the window and help me do the dishes, jump up and hang on the door, and sit with you just like a lap dog.



Crispy suffered a much faster demise after two weeks of life with me as his mom, bottle feeding him and just taking care of him in general. We left the trailer with him out of his box and on the porch attempting to see if he could stay on the porch long enough for us to go reminisce at the Sugar Pond at the back of the farm. Apparently he figured out how to get down, made it to Tyler's car and got behind the front wheel before we even made it to the car. After the special time we had at the pond we only came back to the trailer to find him lying in our headlights. :(


Which brings us to the third. Extra Crispy--as Tyler named him. One afternoon Tyler called me with much frustration in his voice telling me he had something for me that he was bringing home. In the background I heard a little kitty screech. He had run over this kitten's mother (obviously he doesn't have much luck with automobiles) and felt obligated, although very perturbed, to bring him home. I found out quick that this kitty was INFESTED with fleas so I spent a few days taking care of that, and also trying to get this little kitty to eat. After about 2 weeks, we came home to his box on the porch turned over. (excuse the graphic nature of this story) There was blood smeared all over the porch and dripped and sprayed everywhere...on the door, on the crate. It was absolutely terrible. The only sign left of the kitty was a little hair. We think it was an owl.




Anyway...we will NOT be getting any more cats!

2 comments:

Don and Robin Cooper said...

Oh bless your heart! You are definitely a compassionate person who is willing to take care of all these cats, and NOT be a cat person!

Laura said...

I HATE cats, but find myself feeling really sad for your cats. :(