Friday, December 19, 2008

Axl is 3 months old today!

1 month old 10/19/2008
2 months old 11/19/2008
3 months old 12/19/2008

I was definitely a better blogger this month, so most of the main events of this past month are already known. Axl has really shown us his unique personality and every day we feel more capable of taking care of him. I now know his hungry cry, his "please pick me up, I just need attention" cry, his "I'm uncomfortable" cry, his hurt cry, and of course, the occasional "I'm just trying to get to you, mom" cry. As for sleeping, we have somewhat regressed this month. He doesn't sleep through the night but wakes up only once. Some nights he even goes back to sleep with just the return of his pacifier (we call it his yummy); Other nights, I use it as a special bonding time for us.
Something a little weird- I have noticed a specific "Axl smell". When I've tried to explain this to Tyler, or anyone else they kind of look at me like I'm crazy, but Axl, and specifically his room smell a certain way to me. It's not a bad smell by any means. It actually kind of smells like the air right before it rains. I love it. I can really smell it when I check on him during his naps, the whole room smells wonderful. I guess I should appreciate this while it lasts, because I've definitely been in little boys' rooms that don't smell so nice, ha.
Each day is an adventure. Axl learned to roll over from his tummy to his back and the past couple of days he has really been noticing and studying his little hands. He brings his fist up to his face and then really slowly, and seemingly deliberately, opens and closes it.
He has become a better napper and takes most of them in his crib. Sometime during the month we graduated from the bassinet inside the crib to just the crib. Last night Tyler said "he looks so little in this big bed!" At night he still uses the swaddle blanket but I don't do it for his naps.
He resists any real schedule we try to establish. The only reason I'm pushing for this is that I have a fear I won't be able to pump enough milk for him when I go back to school in January, so I want to know better exactly when and how much he is eating. He does do pretty well with about a 3 hour lapse between feedings, which would work well because I think I can pump twice while at school.
Anyway, I'm trying to enjoy every minute I have with him knowing that I'm going to lose a lot of time next semester, but I keep reminding myself that if I put off this last year of school, it's going to be harder and harder to go back. So, Axl, remember...I'm sorry I left you for this little bit, but it's better now than later in your life. We're going to have so much fun together everyday once I graduate!!

Happy 3 months, Axl James!

4 comments:

John and Erin said...

Jo, you are such an awesome mommy! He will be so grateful for your awesome example of a multitasking mommy one day! *(of course it may make it harder on him when he is looking for a wife one day...as it will def. be hard to find one as awesome as you!)

Marissa said...

I love it when little babies' personalities start blossoming around that age... they are more fun every day! I know what you mean about that 'smell' I seriously do! Joselyn has a Joselyn smell too that I love... her sweet baby skin smell. Love it.

Mariah said...

Hey there! I am so glad you found my blog cuz now I can enjoy yours!! I had such a great time playing with and holding Axl the other night! Tim and I were talking about having you guys over one day soon. Maybe after Christmas if you guys aren't going anywhere?? I love your blog and especially love the month to month picture you take of him. It really shows how much he is growing and changing!

E said...

I am SOOOO sorry- Cindy didn't think you were home--I left a little something there for Axl--we will definantly catch you guys when we come back from UT!!!! I was sad that we didnt' see you and now i am really sad since you were home!!!