Sunday, February 15, 2009

Axl's First...something.

Note: This post will be very boring and probably shouldn't be read. I'm just going to use it as space to document Axl's first sickness. It's been pretty tough on us all but I think we're kicking it.
Saturday February 7th: Starts coughing.
Sunday 8th: Continues coughing. I'm embarrassed and a little ashamed we brought him to church because I don't know if he really feels bad and hope the other mothers aren't thinking I'm an idiot and am going to get their babies sick.
Monday 9th: Axl goes to Leighann's as per usual and has a fairly good day. She said he took a really long nap but didn't seem sick at all.
Tuesday 10th: The cough is worse, but I take him to Leighann's anyway because Tyler reminds me that when we have colds it is worse in the morning after sleeping all night and that he will probably continue to be better throughout the day. She texts and says she can feel his cough in his chest so I call the doctor, make an appointment, leave school and go pick him up, and take him to clinic. We see some random resident because Dr. Wigglesworth is only in on Wednesdays. I decide I will probably switch doctors soon because it's not very ideal to only be sick on Wednesdays. :) Random guy says it's just a virus and not to worry about RSV because RSV is just a virus like a cold and to just make sure he doesn't have trouble breathing. this is kind of unsettling. also--I'm a terrible mother and left Axl's bear at Leighann's house. Tyler keeps Axl while I go to the mall and buy another one as I had been planning to do this for a while as he has developed such an affinity for it.
Wednesday 11th: My mom comes to our house to keep Axl while I go to school. Continues coughing and low-grade fever comes back that stopped Monday.
Thursday 12th: Natalie keeps Axl and says he literally slept all day. She said she would estimate he was awake for 45 minutes. Still giving Tylenol for fever. Still coughing--now it sounds like a dry cough and he starts to act like it hurts pretty bad, maybe his throat.
Thursday night he wakes up with a bloodcurtling scream and refuses to eat; we hypothesize this is due to throat pain. Now we're giving Tylenol for fever and pain.
Friday 13th: Axl sleeps in until about 11. Is awake for about an hour and goes back to sleep. Sleeps virtually all day again. Whenever he wakes up I try and feed him but he usually falls back asleep on like the 3rd suck. I pump a bottle to give and he takes that without falling asleep. We had planned to take him to the Valentine's dance with us this night but he is feeling too bad. My mom and dad offer to come watch him so we can go. She reports that he didn't cough much but was very lethargic.
Saturday 14th: I stay with Axl in the morning while Tyler does eBay. When he gets home, he keeps him in the afternoon while I run errands. It seems he is much better until about 2 in the afternoon when he starts to feel bad again. We still take him to our (now annual) White Castle Valentine's dinner when we probably shouldn't, but he gets some good cuddle time in with Natalie (he really loves her--he had been really fussy but sat with her just fine and quiet in the restaurant). Things get a little out of hand when we try and transfer Axl from the carseat to the crib when we get home. He gets really worked up and seems to be having a little trouble breathing but most likely just because he is so upset. Tyler gave Axl his first blessing. He slept soundly after that until about 5:30.
Sunday 15th: Won't nurse in the morning so I take a pumped bottle to church. He takes some of it very slowly. We leave after sacrament. He seems to steadily be feeling better. No fever today.

Here are some pictures I've taken throughout the week. Falling asleep everywhere.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Sick or not sick, he's the cutest sleeper I have ever seen. I love the thumb sucking!

Marissa said...

I'm so glad he's feeling better. When I started reading it, I was sure he had RSV... and with Landen's recent battle with it, I was worried for him. Thank goodness for daddy's blessings!! I hope he's completely better soon! A sick baby = sad mommy.

Tara Black said...

Aww poor little guy! :( I'm glad he is starting to feel better now.

E said...

I am glad he is starting to feel better but don't EVER feel guilty for a sick baby! Kids do that and as a mom, you do what is best. You are a great mom and don't ever second guess yourself. First kids are resilient because we have to figure out what we are doing and subsequent children are resilient because they have older siblings to beat up on them--again you a a great mom, DON"T feel guilty!

Kauti Nicholls said...

awww...poor baby. I hope that he is feeling better. At least he slept a lot instead of constantly fussing!

Natalie said...

Hope he's getting better everyday!
Thanks for such fun last night...beans and cornbread were awesome and It's always fun to have another Kentucky first :)

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kris and Kally said...

Oh I hope he is feeling much better!