Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Best Dad

We celebrated Tyler's first official Father's Day by trying to make it an enjoyable day for him! On Sunday morning, Tyler came downstairs to some warm bread coming out of the oven, a cheeeeesy Father's Day stepping stone from Axl (very cute, nonetheless "FOLLOWING IN YOUR FOOTSTEPS, AJH...with his feet stamped in, of course), and a card that says "Everyone needs a HERO...I'm so glad you're mine!" When you open it you can hear Axl whispering very softly..."dadada" (which, by the way, took about 3 days to record). We made sure Dad got a nap in the afternoon and then went to celebrate with my family at my brother, David's house. My contribution to the meal was a banana pudding trifle, one of Tyler's favorites that I actually haven't made since we've been married. It was a good day!


We tried to make this day extra special for Papa T because we love him so very much! Here is a nonexhaustive list of all the great things about him!

1. He loves us very much and makes sure to tell us both so every night, no matter if we have yelled, cried, pooped, screamed, been snotty, or whatever the case may have been throughout the day.

2. He works so incredibly hard to support our family. He works a full-time job, many hours of overtime, and yet another job. He works so hard so that we can buy things we need and things we want. He is always understanding of both our needs and wants and does his best to see that both of them are met.

3. He calls sometimes just to see how our day is going and seems genuinely interested when all that is going on is laundry, baby food, and dirty diapers.

4. He is hot! He takes good care of his body and tries to eat healthy most of the time. :) He motivates me to keep my body physically healthy(or try to atleast)!

5. He has the strongest testimony. I am so grateful that we have a priesthood holder in our home who is willing to offer blessings when we need them (and he always seems to know when), strives to fulfill his calling everyday, and ensures that our family is making the right choices. My testimony is most definitely stronger everyday because he is in my life. The Lord has GREATLY blessed us with him.

Reasons I think my dad is the best!
**contributed by the Axman**

1. On the nights he is home, he reads Goodnight Moon to me in silly voices and ad libs silly lines like..."Why is there an old lady sitting in your room? and it's not really an old lady, it's a bunny."

2. He changes my diaper even though before I was born he said he would never change a diaper. I know this means he loves me!

3. He gives me my bear a lot to see my happy face. He loves that I love my bear so much and laughs about it all the time! When I cry in the night and he comes to give me my bear, he imagines me saying to bunny bear, "Hey, how'd you know I was up!?"

4. He almost always dresses me on Sunday mornings. Sometimes mom doesn't necessarily like the result, but she appreciates the break. :)

5. Since he is working quite a bit, when he is home, he always makes it a priority to spend time with me. He holds me and watches ESPN with me, plays with me, and gives me my most favorite toys (and he has taken the time to figure out which ones those are). Even if I am asleep when he gets home, he will often come into the nursery just to watch me sleep for a minute.

All of these things make us feel loved everyday--we hope you had a good one, Papa T--you're the best!

3 comments:

Don and Robin Cooper said...

That is such a sweet post...you and Axl are very blessed indeed! We think a lot of your Tyler, yes we do!

Loretta Valenta said...

Very sweet! I love the first picture of Axl holding that card -- he is a great poser for such a young age!!! :)

The Hicks of Kentucky said...

Axl's hair is really growing in! It is SO cute!!