Saturday, June 5, 2010

Family of Four!? The First Two Weeks

WOW--This is a post FULL of pictures!

As posted previously, our little Cooper Jay was born on May 21, 2010 at 7:33 am. She weighed 8 pounds 7.8 ounces and was 20 1/2 inches long.
While in the hospital, Daddy would get Cooper to sleep for the first stretch of the night and hold her. I cannot, for the life of me, sleep with a baby, it makes me extremely nervous, so this gave me a little rest to start off the night. :)With Axl, I didn't bring in my own blanket and regretted it when looking at those drab, ugly, uncomfortable hospital blankets. A couple days before going into labor I made this blanket to take with me to the hospital to match a pillowcase my mother-in-law, Bonnie, made me for my birthday last year. The room was quite bright...and very...pink. :)Axl came in on the 21st to meet his new sister. We didn't get many good pictures, but we did catch a really great video of him meeting her. He wore his BIG BROTHER shirt and brought in a pink bunny bear and placed it right on her ear like he does with his- adorable. The second picture makes me laugh as he was completely enamored with her the first couple days and his expression foreshadows the little bit of trouble we would have in the future... :)
By Sunday we were ready so ready to bring Cooper home and be with our little man.
We met my parents at the house and they brought Axl. He walked the entire way into the house refusing to let go of the car seat. He helped me get her out and hasn't stopped giving her her yummy since...which is quite unfortunate since she won't really take it, ha.Axl has never been all that into blankets...he has his "bunny bear" which kind of serves as his "blankie". But since we brought Cooper home and she is always covered in a blanket, he has been obsessed with having a blanket. We brought out the blanket Tyler's Aunt Naomi made for Axl before she passed and there has been no turning back--he LOVES it!For the first few days, Axl went on a pretty serious fast. :/ I was really worried about him until Grandma brought over some leftovers and he cleaned his plate! I have never seen him eat this much...those were some really good pork chops! :) I just think this is adorable. I got out of the shower one morning and found them like this.
This is our first Family (of four) Home Evening. We took a walk around the block. Cooper had her first sponge bath on May 25th. She hated it until we started rinsing her hair and then she went comatose...
Her hair gets REALLY curly when it's wet.She had her first appointment with Doctor Boarman when she was four days old. She weighed in at 8 pounds 5 ounces- 75th percentile(which was good since we went home in the high sevens). Her length, 20.5 inches was in the 90th percentile and her head circumference was 34 cm- 25th percentile.Axl doing some coloring...this lasted about 4 seconds...long enough to capture a picture. Tyler found the exact double stroller I wanted on Craig's list. This was our first walk!Axl, watching Shrek, slowly turning into his daddy...And the day o' the fence! Boy was I excited to have a fence in the backyard...it just so happened that Axl has pretty much refused to go outside since it's been up...quite a change from the perpetual "asiiiiiiiiide, asiiiiiiiiiiide, asiiiiiiiiide" we had been hearing...Axl asked to lie beside her...he loves to give her hugs and kisses...sometimes.On Memorial Day we went to spend the day at the Hamilton's. Axl carried his own swim stuff in this backpack; it was adorable. The day was great--Axl had so much fun in the water and Coop pretty much napped all day with Uncle Lyman. (I even snuck in a trip to Gymboree for an awesome sale with Liz and Brooke!)We tried giving Cooper her first pumped bottle on May 31st. It was an epic failure.Cooper had her first real bath on June 3rd. She had it so early because her cord ended up getting pulled almost off prematurely. We had to go to the Twilight Clinic, after a TERRIBLE smell ensued, where they went ahead and took it all the way off and cauterized an umbilical granuloma. All is well with the little button now. :)
I will be the first to admit that Axl is a pretty terrible eater. He loves to snack and you never know what he will eat on any given day. He has especially had an aversion to certain textures which makes it hard for us to get healthy things in him. I think it's because his teeth came in so late he doesn't really quite know how to use them. Anyway...the only fruit he will eat (sometimes) is grapes, so I was so excited when he asked for a "biiiie" of my banana that I surrendered the entire thing. He has eaten one every day since!
We tried another bottle on the 4th and it was a success-we will be able to get a babysitter at some point in time! ...something tells me it will be a while though...
Cooper's two week check-up was on the 7th and it was definitely a success. Tyler and I have pretty much been on the brink of insanity because of constant screaming, inconsolable crying, projectile vomiting, and obvious stomach trouble our little girl is having. I got out about half of my schpeel before the doctor cut me off and said he was prescribing Zantac. I was extremely relieved considering it took me about 2 months to convince Axl's doctor that there was something wrong and he was pretty much diagnosed with reflux on accident. Anyway...we have high hopes that things will calm down a bit.

Weight: 9 pounds 4 ounces- 75th percentile
Length: 21 3/4 inches- 90th percentile
Head circumference: 36 cm- 50th percentile

Even though the first two weeks have been rough, there have been countless moments of realization that we already love her to death!

5 comments:

beecoming said...

sounds like a pretty marvelous first two weeks. she's a lucky little girl to have a family who loves her so much. :)

The Hicks of Kentucky said...

Oh my goodness Joanna, Cooper is so freakin cute!! And you look so good! By the way we have Nuk pacifiers that Olivia no longer uses if you want them. She switched to Avent pacifiers when she was 3 months old. If you need anything please let me know! Oh yea, and I need to stop by sometime and give you Coopers gift!

Natalie said...

Thanks for the update and for sharing all these adorable pictures! I loved looking at your sweet little girl...and let's admit it, the picture of Axl watching a movie on that little couch is priceless!

John and Erin said...

Don't worry about the babysitting conundrum...John and I will always take BOTH of them ANYTIME...unless of course we are going on a double date, and then we would of course LOVE for all the kiddos to come along, or my mom and dad would LOVE to take all three for us!

Tara Black said...

I love all the pictures!! Cooper is so sweet! I'm glad you got the crying figured out. Glad to see you guys are doing well. Also, you look great! It doesn't even look like you had a baby! :)