Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bo-K!

Last week, Axl started attending a Mother's Day Out program at Southland Christian Church called the Great Escape. He is in a classroom with about 15-20 kids and several teachers and attends on Tuesday and Wednesday from 9-12. Axl and I went to Wal-Mart before his first day to find a backpack (people laughed at me -really just Tyler-but it's a good thing I did this because ALL the other kids have backpacks!) He picked out this really, really ugly Cars backpack covered with a huge hologram and I just couldn't support the decision. I tricked him into putting it back and found a small, little plain black backpack and jazzed it up a bit with some iron-on lettering and some "tuck" buttons Axl picked out at Hobby Lobby.

The first day went great--he sent me off with a smile while I cried all the way home. Since then, we've had a bit rougher time. The second day he started crying before we even got into the room because you have to pass the play room to get there, and I guess he wanted to go there instead. He had a really rough night this past Monday night, so I wasn't even sure I would take him, but he woke up in a good mood so we went anyway. Tyler picked him up and the teacher said he fussed on and off all day. I was a little frustrated that I had told her about his bunny bear and yummy in the bag and they never got it for him or called me like I asked (since I knew he wasn't feeling great because of the night before). Anyway--he survived. Today he threw himself on the ground as soon as we walked in the door...nice. I reminded her about the yummy and when I picked him up, she told me he had it all day--hopefully this doesn't foil my plan of taking it away next week. I kept trying to get his attention, but he was acting oblivious. As soon as he realized I was there he broke into a huge cry and started telling me he wanted to go "bye-bye". I'm hoping he starts to actually enjoy it. It's hard to tell if he just needs to get used to being away from us (which doesn't make much sense because he goes to nursery at church just fine every week) or if he really just doesn't like it. Do you give a child that age the choice and just quit going after a month or so if he's still having trouble? Anyway, other than the fact that I'm worried about him for the three hours he's there, I am getting a little bit more done and the worry is perhaps worth the lightened load of stress.


We gave it to him the night before his first day and he REALLY liked it. The first day. I did take the headband off his head before we left. :)I love that he is bringing home little art projects. However, it's also funny to distinguish what he actually did. He HATES coloring so I know he didn't do most of this page. The part I believe he did is where you can see he was banging the crayon on the table. :)He pulled the eyes off this little guy before we got it home. Guess I need to take the pictures AT the school! ha
Also--the title. Since the first day, Axl has been saying, "Bo-K" ALL the time. It's different than book, but tells me no when I ask if he's saying box. No idea. Hopefully we'll figure it out soon. Sometimes he gets so frustrated after about a minute of me trying to figure it out that he just changes it to book and accepts one, ha.

1 comment:

John and Erin said...

I LOVE the way the bag turned out!!! So cute!!!