Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mummy Milestone :(

We can now say that Axl slept his first night ever without a yummy before he turned two--his birthday is tomorrow. Over the last couple of days, at naptime and bedtime, when Axl would go to the little drawer where his yummies are kept, one of them would be "broken". He would bring it to me and tell me it was "break" and needed to go in the "tash". It kind of worried me that he was getting excited about the process, but always, of course, going back to find one that wasn't broken. So, last night, I took the three yummies that were left, broke one (I know, can you believe it!? I am the culprit!), placed it back in the drawer and hid the other two. When Axl found the lone broken yummy, he put it in the trash and went back looking for another. We told him they were all broken and we had put them all in the trash. When we left his room he asked for Mickey and juice, and I got both of them, impressed he had accepted the "broken yummy" situation. It took him a LONG time to go to sleep. And the funny thing was that he would cry, but it was TOTALLY a fake cry, he has become a master whiner! We would go in and he would be EXTRA EXTRA snuggly and tell us to lay our heads on the pillow and tell us the story about "break" and "trash", but never really ask for the yummy. ...but, moral, of the story...he did eventually fall asleep, I think at about 10:30.

So, last night when I went to bed I was most certainly not fake crying. My little boy doesn't have a yummy anymore and it hurts my heart to know that he doesn't. Tyler and I were trying to think of things to compare it to, to try and relate to him. We don't have anything, as adults, that we are attached to because of the comfort it brings us. I determined the closest thing was me trying to go to bed without Tyler. It's really hard for me to fall asleep and it, quite frankly, makes me sad. Tyler responded, "I can go to sleep anywhere". Oh, thanks dude.

Let's hope Axl takes after his dad and isn't as traumatized as he could potentially be. The day so far has been great and he hasn't mentioned the yummy. I'm not looking forward to "mummy" going missing from our vocabulary, either!

1 comment:

The Snyder's said...

Aww, what a big boy he's becoming! My mom never took my blankie away... and I still have it... and I still sleep with it sometimes, but mostly when Chandler's out of town because, like you, I HATE sleeping without him. However, she DID get rid of the pacifier, a.k.a. "fahfah" (?).. Well, actually, "the tiger ate it" when I was two, the tiger being the reclining chair. It's all very strange.