Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Broken Yummies.

Axl got a yummy today which mysteriously had the end snipped off of it. He brought it over to show me and I told him it was broken. "Should we throw it in the trash?" and then he threw it in the trash. Later, in the car, he asked me for his yummy and I reminded him about the broken one and he remembered and told me about the broken yummy, no crying involved.

I'm thinking maybe this will work but am torn between two options. Should they all be "broken" at once or would it be just as traumatic for him to find a broken one every day and then the final day realize there are no more? I'm leaning toward the gradual option, but thinking it may just be delaying the inevitable.

And really, there is a huge part of me that doesn't want to take it away at all, because I want him to have it. Being a mother is both hard and weird.

...and, of course, wonderful when you're not having to take away one of your son's life sources.

3 comments:

Tara Black said...

We went the gradual route with Cooper. We started to take it away during the day, then slowly at night, and now he only gets it at nap time. We are hoping to take it away at nap time in the next few weeks. I know what you mean about not wanting to take it away, though!

David and Meg said...

I know I am not a mom but I worked in the two year old room in my day care for two years and experienced a lot of broken "yummy's". I always found it was better to do it all at once. A lot of parents also used a transitional item such as a blanket or new animal but most of them did just fine without it. I never met one that was upset for more than a few days. You are still the mama and know best though!

Marissa said...

Such a hard thing! I cried when I took Landen and Joselyn's away... it was such a comfort item for them! I think if they have one solid experience then it stays in there memory that they are gone. And I've also never heard of anyone having a hard time past a few days. They just learn to live without it. Joselyn was over it in one day and Landen was over it in 2 days. A LOT sooner than I had planned for. We tied ours to a balloon... and now whenever they ask for paci's (which they really just do now for funnies)we talk about how they are floating up in the sky somewhere.