Monday, November 17, 2008

Babywise

So, I think several of you all out there have read this book and practice PDF...I don't know your e-mail addresses so I'm just going to hope that you read this and have some advice/answers for me. I have read the book twice now and have been trying for several days. The nights are definitely going well--he is sleeping through the night or only waking up once. However, the days are driving me so insane I'm thinking about throwing in the towel...I have Axl on a 2 1/2 hour schedule. When I lie him down for a nap, he cries of course as they say will happen in the book. Usually he will calm himself down and drift to sleep but no longer than 15 minutes later he will wake up. I am checking on him periodically during the times that he is crying, patting him, giving him his pacifier and sometimes picking him up until he is calm and lying him back down. But never in these couple days has he actually napped the full hour or so. I am leaving him in the room for the time allotted for sleep and, like I said, checking/soothing him about every 10 minutes during the times he's crying. Axl did not cry much before this, so now I'm thinking I was better off just not having a schedule like before. It's killing me! Am I doing something wrong, or can I do anything differently? Thanks so much for any advice!

7 comments:

E said...

Joanna, I LOVE Babywise. If he isn't napping long enough on teh 2 1/2 hour rotation, you might try to stretch it to a 3 or 3 1/2 our rotation. This might give him some longer naps. Then again, some babies don't require as much sleep as others, so if he's sleepign really well at night, he might not need as much nap time during the day. If you have any more questions you can email me anytime! ericassnow (at) gmail

Tara Black said...

Ok obviously I don't have a baby just yet. :) But I don't think you are doing anything wrong! Every baby is different. And if he is sleeping through the night, he may not need as many naps during the day. I am reading the Babywise book, too and I love it! You may just have to play around with the schedule until you find what works best for you guys. :)

Laura said...

I haven't really tried to put Cami on a schedule, and I guess I like it that way. I would like to get a more solid bed time in place, but I dunno...I'm just a 'go with the flow' kind of person.

And I second the idea that if he's sleeping through the night, he is probably getting plenty of sleep.

Marissa said...

I read Babywise too and also loved a lot of the things in the book -BUT- just remember to listen to your instincts and follow the spirit. Books are great references, but in my opinion, can never work as an instruction manual because like Tara said, every baby is different and every PARENT is different. I had to 'adjust' a few things in the method that fit my daughter using other methods I had read about and what I felt was right for her. There were a lot of things that helped her- but in the long run I just couldn't follow the book to a T and feel good as a mother. On the other hand, when I followed my heart and the spirit, I ALWAYS felt guided and felt good in the decisions I made for her regarding sleeping, feeding etc. Some people may feel differently and be just fine. I will admit that Joselyn did not sleep through the night until she was 8 months old, but she DID and every baby WILL eventually get there. She also followed a great predicable schedule with the help of Babywise though and the book provided a lot of good pointers on parenting. She is a VERY happy baby because of it and I will never regret listening to my heart!

Sierra said...

I am also using Babywise and Caylor started sleeping through the night at about 5 weeks. Now he is sleeping almost 12 hours at night every night. This is wonderful, but I notice that the better he sleeps at night, the worse he naps during the day. I am having the exact same problems as you. He will nap for about 15-20 minutes in his crib and then scream the rest of the time no matter what I do. Maybe he is getting enough sleep at night and does not need as much daytime sleep I don't know. But I am sure you are doing a wonderful job and I think if you (and I) stick with it things will workout. I know this is terrible, but something I do to get him to nap when I am desperate is stick him in his swing, it works every time. Good luck!

Tyler and JoAnna Hamilton said...

thank you ALL so much for your help and advice..I feel refreshed today and am just going to make some minor changes that I think will make both our lives easier :) I'll let you all know how it turns out! btw..he slept 10-630 last night so I am well rested and ready for the day!!

Neal Family said...

I dont know if you are nursing or not, but I was nursing until I finally figured out with my doctor that he was not getting enough to drink. I pumped and pumped but it was not enough for the little man. Once I started to bottle feed after every nursing he was a new man. But you may be "plentiful" in that department so....it is so hard. Every baby is different and thats the joys of having a baby, figuring it out on the way!:)Good luck